Originally Published as Study Pinpoints Key Areas for IT Security Savings on Technorati IT
In order to show just how much companies can save by consolidating certain IT investments, Druva Software had independent research company, Ponemon Institute conduct a survey which revealed key areas where companies can save, and perhaps more interesting, how much they can save. According to the study released last Thursday, companies can save on average more than $8,100 per user anually with unified endpoint management. This is opposed to having 4 different solutions to 4 different security and IT problems.
The survey of 649 enterprise level IT professionals revealed these 4 key areas for cost saving potential. Highlighted by the trend of people bringing their own devices (BYOD) to work, the study pinpoints backup, file sharing, data loss prevention (DLP) and analytics as areas where unified endpoint protection on a single platform would present considerable cost savings.
“With more than 28% of corporate data residing exclusively on laptops, the proliferation of BYOD devices and the dangers of consumer-grade file sharing, endpoint protection is becoming increasingly critical. The challenge is to do it without adding excessive IT management costs or complexity for end users,” said Jaspreet Singh, CEO of Druva. “This survey clearly demonstrates that a unified strategy that merges backup, DLP, file sharing and analytics significantly lowers the total cost of ownership while also streamlining the end user experience.”
The breakdown of potential cost-savings for each area are:
- Endpoint backup - $2,613: Savings from eliminating hours of data recovery work.
- Data loss prevention - $686: 81% of survey participants stated that loss or theft of endpoints cost them, on average, around $686 a year per user.
- File Sharing - $3,119: Instead of users relying on services like Dropbox or YouSendit with a secure enterprise solution, companies can save in productivity improvements, reduction in data breaches and remediation costs.
- Endpoint analytics $309: By enabling better search capabilities tied to having file sharing in a centralized environment, legal and compliance personnel can save time searching the increasing sprawl of data created by consumer file sharing tools.
- Integration cost savings $1,458: These savings are a result of consolidating endpoint backup, DLP, file sharing and analytics in one platform. Savings are from installation costs, maintenance, elimination of redundant storage as well as end user savings in productivity and ease of use, including mobile access, and secure file sharing.
To access the entire survey, ‘Quantifying the Value of Unified Endpoint Data Management’ you can find it here.